Advertise - Print Edition

Brandeis University's Community Newspaper — Waltham, Mass.

Men’s Soccer Returns Home on High Note

Published: November 1, 2013
Section: Sports

The men’s soccer team won their last non-conference match of the season on Monday in Newton against Mount Ida College. The 1-0 shutout was the Judges’ last away game of the regular season. This was the Mustangs’ last home match of the season, celebrating their six graduating seniors prior to the game.

The match’s lone goal came in the 76th minute. Michael Soboff ’15 passed to Zach Vieria ’17 at the edge of the box and ran toward the goal for a return pass to knock in his fifth goal of the season. Soboff had four other shot attempts during the game. This marked Vieria’s second assist of the season. Despite the perceived lack of offense exhibited by the final score, the Judges dominated throughout the game. Brandeis outshot their opponents 19 to 3 overall. The Judges managed nine shots on goal while the Mustangs could only muster one. The victors also won the battle for corner kicks seven to one.

Mount Ida’s Tim Gil had a late free kick opportunity to tie the game but the ball sailed over the crossbar. Teammate Joe Casey had five of his seven saves in the second half while Judge Joe Graffy ’15 had only one opportunity to make a stop. Tyler Savonen ’15 and Sam Ocel ’14 each had offensive chances, attempting two and three shots on goal respectively.

Mount Ida left at 8-6-3 overall and 5-2-2 in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference. Their final match of the season is on Sunday against Norwich University, who stand tied for second in the conference.

Brandeis begins a three-game homestand this weekend against conference foes Washington University, University of Chicago and New York University. The Judges are 12-4 overall, but only 1-3 in the UAA. They are second to last in the conference, ahead of NYU. They are ranked third in New England according to the NCAA, behind Amherst College and Williams College. ranked them at 22nd in the nation before the shutout against Mount Ida.